Dr Mal Arasaratnam is a Medical Oncologist and Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP).
Dr Arasaratnam currently works as a Medical Oncologist at Gosford Private Hospital and Gosford Public Hospital. He regularly attends the lung cancer, breast cancer, genitourinary cancers, gastrointestinal cancer, and brain cancer multi-disciplinary meetings. He is also an active member of multiple national clinical trials groups including Australian and New Zealand Urogential and Prostate (ANZUP) Cancer Trials Group, Thoracic Oncology Group Australasia (TOGA), Cooperative Trial Group for Neuro-Oncology (COGNO), Breast Cancer Trials Group and Australasian Gastro-Intestinal Trial Group Australia (AGITG).
Since starting as a staff specialist at Gosford Hospital in 2019, Dr Arasaratnam has been actively involved in clinical trials as a principal and co-investigator. Dr Arasaratnam is a lecturer through the University of Newcastle and involved with teaching medical students and supervising research projects. Dr Arasaratnam has also been an examiner of medical students and of International Medical Graduates as part of the Workplace Based Assessment program. He is heavily involved in the supervision and training of junior medical officers and Medical Oncology Advance Trainees at Gosford Hospital. He has been a committee member of the Young Oncologists Group of Australia helping transition Oncology trainees and junior consultants into the workforce.
Dr Arasaratnam graduated from Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) through the University of New South Wales and underwent physician training at Royal North Shore Hospital. He went onto complete his Medical Oncology training through Royal North Shore Hospital followed by a clinical trials fellowship at Westmead Hospital and Gosford Hospital. Dr Arasaratnam is currently a Conjoint Lecturer at University of Newcastle.
Dr Arasaratnam has been actively involved in cancer research. He has been engaged in clinical trials groups and been a principal investigator and co-investigator on numerous clinical trials. He has presented at multiple conferences and publications in peer reviewed medical journals. His publications include:
- Patterns of care and outcomes of men with germ cell tumors in a high-volume Australian center. Asia-Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2022
- Outcomes of retroperitoneal lymph node dissection for testicular cancer by a high-volume surgeon from Australia: a case for centralisation. ANZ Journal of Surgery. 2022
- Continuing cabazitaxel beyond 10 cycles for metastatic castrate-resistant prostate cancer: Is there a benefit? European Journal of Hospital Pharmacy. 2021
- Anti-epidermal growth factor receptor therapy for glioblastoma in adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2020
- Inter- and intra-patient variability in pharmacokinetics of abiraterone acetate in metastatic prostate cancer. Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology. 2019
- Rate of cancer progression as a predictive marker of efficacy of immunotherapy; an analysis in metastatic Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC). Immunotherapy. (2019)
- Bioanalytical evaluation of dried plasma spots for monitoring of abiraterone and (4)-abiraterone from cancer patients. Journal of Chromatography B: Analytical Technologies in the Biomedical and Life Sciences. 2019
- Nivolumab in the treatment of advanced renal cell carcinoma. Future Oncology. 2018
- Leptomeningeal melanoma – A case series in the era of modern systemic therapy. Pigment Cell Melanoma Research. 2017
- MMBS , FRACP