- General Surgery
Associate Professor Amanda Dawson is a Specialist General Surgeon, specialising in upper gastrointestinal and advanced laparoscopic surgery at Gosford Private Hospital.
A/Prof Dawson graduated from the University of Melbourne in 1992, completed her general surgical training at the Austin and Repatriation Medical Centre, and was awarded fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in 1999. During her training she was awarded the D.R. Leslie Prize by the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
She then undertook a two year fellowship in upper gastrointestinal surgery and advanced laparoscopic surgery at Concord Hospital in Sydney.
In 2002, she commenced a period of research, with a Masters of Surgery at the University of NSW. Her thesis on the molecular biology of pancreatic cancer was completed at the Garvan Institute of Medical Research. Concurrently, she also completed a Masters of Medicine in Clinical Epidemiology at the University of Sydney.
A/Prof Dawson commenced as the inaugural Senior Lecturer in Surgery based at the Central Coast Clinical School with the University of Newcastle in 2004 and achieved tenure in 2008.
She believes education is integral to her role, and sees this as part of her professional responsibility. As a result A/Prof Dawson is involved in the educational paradigm at a local, national and international level for all levels of student from undergraduate through pre-vocational, accredited trainees to specialist consultant.
She is also particularly diligent in updating her own knowledge and skill bases by constantly viewing the medical literature and attending professional meetings and interaction with colleagues.
A/Prof Dawson’s current roles include:
- Senior Lecturer in Surgery, University of Newcastle
- Clinical Dean of the Central Coast Clinical School (commence January 2017)
- Director of the Teaching and Research Unit (commence January 2017)
- Chair, Surgery Clinical Scenario Writing Group, Australian Medical Council
- Prevocational Lead, Clinical Trials Network Australia and New Zealand, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- 2003 Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Raelene Boyle Scholarship for cancer research
- 2018 Educator of Merit - Supervisor/Clinical Assessor of the Year (NSW) Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
A/Prof Dawson’s main interest area is advanced laparoscopy including hernia, fundoplication and bile duct exploration.
- MS , MM (Clinical Epidemiology) , MBBS , FRACS
Gosford Specialist Centre
Holden Street, Gosford NSW 2250Phone: 02 4320 5572